The government has imposed many restrictions across India to ensure the public’s safety. These measures have helped lessen the spread of COVID-19 across the country. However, as the second wave of the virus hits India, people need to be extra vigilant about keeping themselves and their community safe. Just like the year 2020’s Dushehra and Diwali celebrations, Christmas would also have to get celebrated a little differently this year. By now, however, people have pretty good at figuring out ways to plan safe celebrations. Here are five ideas that might help you while planning your Christmas holidays.
- Go digital: Christmas celebrations are all about getting together with the family and strengthening bonds with each other. However, due to travel restrictions, many people have to stay away from their loved ones around the world. Going shopping for gifts from markets and visiting your friends or family is also not a safe option this year. So this year, we should try adjusting to the new normal. Finding innovative ways to send greeting cards and gifts to your friends can be fun. You can post hand-made cards or e-cards to your loved ones. Your friends would love to have a pre-paid gift parcel delivered at their doorstep. Planning a live karaoke night on Zoom can be a fun option also. You can even turn it into an Antakshari competition. Planning these fun activities can make the day memorable and fun for the whole family.
- Plan a romantic outdoor dinner: Travelling to your hometown for Christmas celebrations involves a lot of risks. If you and your partner are alone this Christmas, there are ways that you can make it exciting for each other. You can plan a romantic, candle-lit dinner date with your partner, where you can cook for each other. You can show each other videos of your past Christmas celebrations with your family to know more about each other’s family rituals. Maybe you can create a family ritual of your own from this year also. Playing board games after dinner will make the night one remember. If you have a balcony, you can have a cozy conversation with your partner under the stars while you sip a warm cup of hot chocolate under the stars.
- Make DIY Christmas decorations: Since this year due to COVID-19 led restrictions, shopping for a Christmas tree and decorations is risky, we can choose the DIY route. Not only would it be a fun activity that involves the whole family, but it would make the decorations even more special than just purchasing them from the store. Instead of buying a Christmas tree, you can decorate an indoor plant with fairy lights. Children can paint Santa’s shoes and discover items at home that can get used as decorations. Wrapping the gifts with old newspapers at home is also an eco-friendly alternative to gift wraps. Making Christmas cookies with the kids is an activity that kids of all ages would love.
- Limit the gathering: If you must celebrate with your friends and family, make sure that it gets done following all the government SOPs. The larger the group of people, the higher the risk of spreading the infection. To ensure the safety of yourself and your loved ones, you can plan an outdoor gathering. Make sure that everyone coming wears a mask at all times, uses hand sanitizers, and is at least 6 feet apart from each other. If you are planning to hire event managers for your party, make sure that they are strict in following all the safety precautions. It is essential to ensure that their equipment gets sanitized, and the workers wear masks all the time. It is not advisable to serve alcohol during the party because alcohol consumption is known to impact your cognitive abilities, resulting in guests not being vigilant about following safety precautions. Having a bonfire party outdoor is a fun way to celebrate with friends. Get some barbeque grills, and your dinner is sorted.
- Celebrate Christmas on the go: If you are someone who loves to be on the go, then this option is perfect for you. You can plan on going for a long drive with your family or housemates and enjoy all the Christmas decorations on the go. You can grab a meal from a restaurant that has a drive-thru facility, put on your favorite music, and roam around in the comfort of your car. The year 2020 has made us realize the importance of enjoying the little things in life that we never had the time to do before. So make this Christmas extra special by doing activities as simple as driving aimlessly around the city.
Your responsible behavior this Christmas will go a long way in reducing the spread of the virus. It is on occasions like these that Indians need to be extra cautious to make India corona virus-free again. Here is wishing you all a bright, safe, and merry Christmas!