10 Eclectic Employee Monitoring Apps For Modern-Day Workplaces
Employee monitoring has become essential to determine employee productivity on the job. Since most of the work these days is done in front of computers, it gets difficult for employees to focus entirely on the task at hand when they could also use their computers to play games, use social media or to shop online. All these distractions could make an employee lose focus of the job. This is why there is a need for introducing apps that monitor employee activity during work hours.
Many employee monitoring apps already exist in the market. These range from cell phone- to computer-monitoring software programs. These apps provide managers and employers insight regarding the activity of their employees. It helps the management determine the productivity level of their employees and what they do during work hours. When employees know that they are being monitored, it creates a sense of accountability. Hence, it motivates employees to get the tasks done. It also prevents them from wasting their time.
For an organization, an employee monitoring app can ensure the loyalty of their employees as well. The features offered by the modern monitoring apps can help organizations determine the activities of employees, whether they are conspiring against the organization, leaking company secrets to other people, and such.
To help you understand the difference in employee monitoring apps, we provide a list of 10 employee monitoring apps.
Monitoring your employees with Xnspy is as easy as it can get. This employee monitoring app provides a plethora of features that helps you in getting your hands onto your workforce’s cell phone activity. The features that Xnspy provides include GPS tracking, text messages, call logs, contacts, emails, and browsing history monitoring. These features are found in both Android and iPhones.
One of the key benefits of using Xnspy is because of its good performance. While other applications may provide more features than Xnspy, they often lack in this aspect. Furthermore, the web-based user interface of the application makes navigation on the dashboard user friendly.
- Email monitoring: View their mailbox.
- Location tracking: View live and previous locations off an employee’s phone
- Internet monitoring: View the list of websites visited along with URL, timestamp, and the frequency of visits.
- Social media tracking: View all messages on instant messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Kik, LINE, Skype, Instagram Direct Messages, Tinder, and Viber
- Phone logs: Monitor all incoming, outgoing, and missed calls along with the details of the caller and timestamp
- Contact list: View all the contacts on the phone including email
- Multimedia files: View all photos and videos stored on the device
- Watchlist: View alerts generated for specific contacts, words, and locations
- Keylogger: Logs all keystrokes made on the device on apps such as WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, and others
- Calendar: View all calendar entries on the device
- Ambient listening: Listen to the surroundings of the phone when it is in idle mode
- Live Screenshots: Take screenshots of the device to monitor the real-time activity on the device
- Wi-Fi Network: Logs in all the Wi-Fi networks that the device connects to
- Android: OS versions 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x
- Jailbreak: iOS versions 6.x, 7.x, 8 up to 9.0.2
- No-Jailbreak: iOS versions 6.x, 7.x, 8.x up to 13.2.2
Xnspy Basic Edition:
- 1 month: $29.99/month billed monthly
- 3 months: $13.99/month billed $41.99 quarterly
- 12 months: $4.99/month billed 59.99 annually
Xnspy Premium Edition:
- 1 month: $35.99/month billed monthly
- 3 months: $19.99/month billed $59.99 quarterly
- 12 months: $7.49/month billed $89.99 annually
To install Xnspy on an Android or an iPhone, you need to have physical access to the device. However, for No-Jailbreak iOS version, you only require iCloud credentials of the Apple account.
Once you purchase a subscription package, a link will be sent to your email. Open the link in the browser of the device. This will download Xnspy on the device. Follow along with the instructions, and you will have the app installed on the phone in no time. After that, open your Xnspy account to view data captured on the monitored device.
- Does not drain the battery and data of the device
- Remotely control the device such as blocking apps, wiping data, locking the phone, etc.
- Need physical access to the device for installation
Hubstaff is an excellent employee monitoring app for when you have remote teams working for you. The app allows you to keep an eye on your employees and determine how productive they are. The app can be installed on a variety of devices, including cell phones, tablets, laptops, and PCs. You can monitor the live location of your employee and how much time they spend on a given task. Apart from monitoring, Hubstaff makes it easy to manage employees as well.
Before installing the app, you can avail the 14-day trial of Hubstaff, and find whether the app provides you any benefit or not. With Hubstaff, you can integrate other apps such as Asana, Basecamp, GitHub, Quickbooks, and Trello.
- Time tracking: Tracks time on desktops and mobile phones
- GPS tracking: Records time spent by the employees on site by viewing their clock in and out times
- Online timesheets: Record the number of hours that employees work
- Reporting: Gain insights by viewing the productivity levels of your employees
- Productivity monitoring: Monitor employee activity by taking screenshots, viewing apps in use, and URL tracking
- Scheduling: View employee attendance and make schedules for your employees
- Project Budgeting: Allocate a budget for projects and get alerts when the budget is nearing its limit
- Geo-fencing: View the route taken by employees to get on-site including the time spent and the current location.
- Online invoicing: Creates invoices automatically and sends them to clients and employees without delays
- macOS: 10.6 Snow Leopard or later versions
- Windows: Windows 2000/XP or later versions
- Linux: Any Linux distribution released in 2010 or later including Ubuntu
- Chrome: Google Chrome 47 or later versions
- iOS: iOS 8.0 or later versions
- Android: OS versions 4.1 and later versions
Xnspy Basic Edition:
- Basic: $5/month paid monthly
- Premium: $10/month paid monthly
The app can be directly downloaded on the device. To monitor internet browsing history, you need to add the extension for Hubstaff on Google Chrome. Once the software is downloaded, you can install it and provide your credentials to receive notifications regarding your employees’ activities.
- Makes it easier to track remote employees
- User need to pay extra for additional features such as in-app chats, file storage, and progress reports
- For one subscription plan, there is only one device that you can monitor
ActivTrak is an employee monitoring software that can be installed on computers and laptops. The app allows managers and employers to monitor the daily activity of their employees. An interesting feature of the app is that it helps in detecting threats such as cybersecurity risks. The app calculates a risk score and informs employers so that they can take necessary actions.
Integrating ActivTrak with other software tools such as Slack, Github, Quickbooks, and others increases the functionality of the app. Users of the app can choose to operate in invisible mode, although you can run it invisible mode as well. The dashboard displays the information gathered on the employee’s device in an organized manner.
- Website blocking: Blocks websites on the device that are considered inappropriate
- Real-time reporting: Sends reports to the dashboard to give information about activity at a glance
- Scheduled monitoring: Allocate time to monitor a device for 15 minutes or the entire day
- User risk scoring: Calculates risk scores and sorts them according to the score and individual
- USB detection: Detects USB and generates alerts
- Screenshots: Takes screenshots of real-time usage of the device and exports it to the dashboard
The website does not mention the OS versions with which the app is compatible. But the ActivTrak is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Chrome OS. The app is not compatible with iOS and Android phones.
Xnspy Basic Edition:
- Freemium: Free for up to 3 users for forever
- Advanced: $7.20 per user/month
To install ActivTrak on a laptop or PC, create an account by entering your email address. Once your account has been created, you can install the software on the computer you wish to monitor. After installation, you will receive reports and screenshots from the monitored device. You will also start receiving PC usage data within minutes after installation of the app.
- There is a free version of the app which provides limited features to users. You can block apps, take screenshots, and schedule monitoring of the device
- Does not provide monitoring for mobile phones
- Additional payment for add-on features makes the app expensive
Clever Control takes employee monitoring to a whole new level. It offers many features to employers, which allows them to monitor all activity on the computer remotely. The software provides updates in real-time so that you can keep a close eye on your employees. At a time, you can monitor 16 employees from your dashboard. The employee monitoring software also allows users to monitor web activity, the websites visited, and the duration of site visits.
All of the data is uploaded to the cloud from where it can be accessed by a web-based account. The data regarding the activity on a device is organized into charts and graphs. Thus, converting a huge amount of data into meaningful insights. This makes it easier for managers to view their employees’ activities.
- Remote monitoring: Monitor the activity on the computer remotely on a web-based account
- Internet usage monitoring: Monitor internet, application, and search engine activity
- Keylogger: Record all keystrokes including mouse clicks made on the monitored device
- Screenshots: Take screenshots when a window or URL is changed
- Video and audio control: Record audio and video on the device
- Removable storage monitoring: Detect when a USB, HDD or an SD are inserted into the computer
- Social media: Monitor social media websites including Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace
- Internet Messenger activity: Monitor more than 20 instant messaging applications including Skype
- macOS: 10.13 High Sierra versions and above
- Windows: Any version including the latest versions
To monitor 1 pc per month the following charges hold:
- 3 months: $8.88/month
- 6 months: $6.00/month
- 12 months: $5.00/month
- 24 months: $4.00/month
- 36 months: $3.00/month
After signing up, you can download the Clever Control Agent from your account on the computer you want to monitor. The software takes a couple of minutes to install on the monitored computer. When the software is installed, you will start getting data which can be viewed on the Clever Control account.
- Can monitor the desktop activity for an unlimited number of employees
- The dashboard displays information that is easy to understand at first glance
- Prices offered for the 3-month up to the 12-month subscription plans is expensive
TrackMyFone provides features to track and monitor a device remotely. It allows employers to keep track of their employees’ location, incoming and outgoing messages, calls, calendar meeting, emails, and photos. The app does not require the user to root an Android phone or jailbreak an iPhone. This means that the app can be installed on the employee’s cell phone without any hassle.
The cell phone monitoring app is also compatible with tablets and iPads.
- GPS tracking: View the current location and the route taken along with the timestamp
- Instant messaging apps: View messages and contacts on apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Viber, Skype, and LINE
- SMS monitoring: Track messages sent and received
- Geo-fencing: Mark locations as safe and unsafe and receive alerts when a marked zone is breached
- Call logs: View all incoming, outgoing, and missed calls along with the call duration, timestamp, and contact details of the caller
- Photos: View and download all photos in the gallery with the timestamps
- Watch-list alerts: Receive alerts on certain words in text messages
- Android: OS versions 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, and 8.x
- iPhone: iOS versions 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, and 13.2.2
- 1 month: $25/month billed monthly
- 3 months: $15/month billed $45 quarterly
- 12 months: $5.83/month billed $70 yearly
- 1 month: $29/month billed monthly
- 3 months: $16.33/month billed $49 quarterly
- 12 months: $6.25/month billed $75 monthly
The installation process of TrackMyFone is similar to other cell phone monitoring apps. After purchasing the subscription plans, an email will be sent to the user that outlines the installation procedure. You will require physical access to the device to install the app on an Android device. For iPhone No-Jailbreak, you only require iCloud credentials for monitoring.
- To install the app no jailbreak or rooting is required
- Not compatible with some versions of iOS and the latest version of Android
- Less number of features than other cell phone monitoring apps
- Expensive subscription plans for the features that are offered
- Provides little remote control functionality to the user
mSpy is a cell phone monitoring app that allows employers to monitor an employee’s activities. Since the app is installed on the phone, you need to gain physical access to the device. With the app, users can monitor location history, instant messaging applications, calls logs, calendar entries, and much more. With mSpy, users can not only monitor the phone but also remotely control it. User can also block unwanted callers.
- Manage calls: View all calls including incoming, outgoing, and missed calls along with the timestamp
- Read messaging apps: View messages sent via instant messaging application including WhatsApp, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Telegram, Hangouts, Tinder, LINE, Viber, Kik, and Instagram
- Track location: Monitor current and previous locations
- Geo-fencing: Get alerts when the device is found in an area marked as unsafe
- Control apps and programs: View list of apps installed on the device and block apps on the monitored device
- Multimedia files: View photos and videos stored on the device
- Email: Monitor emails that are sent and received
- Wi-Fi networks: View the list of all the Wi-Fi networks that the device logs into
- Browsing history: Monitor URLs of the websites visited along with the timestamps and the number of times the site was visited.
- iOS Jailbroken: iOS 7–8.4; 9.0–9.1
- iOS No-Jailbroken: Compatible with all iOS versions
- Android: Compatible with Android 4+ versions
The premium and the basic subscription plans are for Android and iOS Jailbreak version of the app.
- 1 month: €59.99/month billed monthly
- 3 months: €33.66/month billed €100.99 quarterly
- 12 months: €14.16/month billed €169.99 annually
- 1 month: €26.99/month billed monthly
- 1 month: €59.99/month billed monthly
- 3 months: €33.66/month billed €100.99 quarterly
- 12 months: €14.16/month billed €169.99 annually
The installation procedure involves purchasing one of the subscription plans offered. Open your email on the device you want to monitor. Download the link on the device and follow the instructions to have the app up and running. Log in to your mSpy account to view all the activity on the monitored device.
- Is compatible with most versions of iOS and Android phones
- Offers a limited number of features to users
- Is expensive for the feature it provides to users
FlexiSpy is primarily a cell phone monitoring application that also provides monitoring on computers including Windows and Mac. FlexiSpy provides the most features for monitoring a cell phone. With FlexiSpy, you can download data such as contact list, internet browsing history in the form of spreadsheets, photos, text messages, and other data. Since the data is uploaded on the FlexiSpy server, you can view it anytime you want, even after it has been deleted from the device.
- Call recording: Record calls remotely on the phone including apps such as Facebook, Hangout, LINE, Skype, Viber, and WhatsApp
- Environment listening: Record the surroundings of the phone
- Call logs: View the list of incoming, outgoing, and missed calls on Facebook, LINE, Skype, Viber, and WhatsApp
- Text messages: View all sent and received messages including the contact name and timestamp
- Instant messaging apps: Monitor messages sent via apps such as Facebook Messenger, Hike, Kik, Instagram Direct Messages, LINE, Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, and others
- Internet browsing and bookmarks: View the URL of the website visited along with the date and time of each visit
- Multimedia files: View and download photos, videos, and audio files
- Calendar: View all calendar entries and appointments
- Remote commands: Remotely take photos, screenshots, and videos; send commands to restart the phone and check the battery of the phone
- Email: View emails along with the timestamp, pictures, text, and contact details of the sender and the recipients
- Application activity: Monitor app activity including the list of apps installed, and take app screenshots
- Location: Monitor the live and previous locations along with the date and time
- Network Connections: View the name and type of the network
- Android: OS versions 4.0.3 to 9
- iOS: All OS versions up to 9.1; iOS 9.2 to 11.4.1 works in tethered mode only
- Windows: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10
- Mac: macOS Mavericks, macOS Yosemite, macOS El Capitan, macOS Sierra, and macOS High Sierra
Premium (Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, and Mac):
- 1 month: $68
- 3 months: $99
- 12 months: $149
Extreme (Android and iPhone):
- 3 months: $199
- 12 months: $349
To install FlexiSpy on a device, you need to have physical access to it. Purchase the subscription plan and download the app on the device from the link sent to your email. Install the app and enter the license key to begin monitoring.
- Offers a wide variety of features
- Requires rooting and jailbreaking to avail advanced features
- Is expensive when compared with other cell phone monitoring apps
- Performance issues such as quick draining of the battery of the monitored device
Kickidler is a desktop monitoring tool. So employers know what an employee is doing in real-time. This software allows users to track employee activity and visualize them in the form of graphs and diagrams. Users can also record the sessions on the computer and search for the specific activity of an employee. You can also monitor the activity of your remote employees as well.
Employees can use Kickidler to monitor the time wasting activities of their employees and guide them to perform better. It can help managers in determining the performance of all of their employees based on the same metrics. This makes it convenient for employers to compare employee performance.
- Online computer monitoring: Monitors the activity of employees in real-time including websites visited, apps in usage
- Time tracking: Tracks the time of employees including absenteeism, lateness, early leaves, overtime, coffee breaks, and other activities.
- Productivity analysis: Determine whether an employee is spending time on work or personal matters
- Computer screen recording: Records the activity on the computer screen and allows searches to be made
- Violations monitoring: Generates alerts in case of violations and negligence
- Productivity metrics: View employee behavioral analytics according to different hours of the day, weekdays, and seasons
- Remote PC access: Remote administration of an employee’s PC including configure programs, restore data, browse files, and view logs
- Keylogger: Logs all the keystrokes on the monitored PC
- Remote employee monitoring: Records the time spent on a task by a remote employee
- Windows: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows Server 12
- Mac: macOS 10.11, macOS 10.12, and macOS 10.13
The following prices are for 1 license
- 1 month: $9.99
- 3 months: $24
- 6 months: $30
- 1 year: $50
- 3 years: $100
- Lifetime: $170
To subscribe to Kickidler, fill out the registration form available on their website. Then download distributions files which include Server, Grabber, and Viewer distributions. Install these components on the computer you want to monitor. This takes about 5 minutes. You will be able to view data on the employee’s desktop after the Grabber files install.
- Monitor in-house and remote employees
- Unlimited technical support
- Cannot be integrated with other software
Spyera provides employee monitoring on a cell phone as well as computers. It offers various features which include recording calls and surroundings, monitoring messages, instant messaging apps, keylogger, call history, and location. All of the data captured on the device is uploaded to the web-based account. The data is stored on the Spyera servers and can be accessed anytime.
- Calls: Listen and record live calls without the user of the device finding out
- Listen and record surroundings: Listen and record the surrounding of the phone
- Text messages: View sent and received messages including the timestamp associated with it
- Instant messaging apps: View sent and received messages on apps such as WhatsApp, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, Viber, Skype, Hangout, and Tinder
- Multimedia files: View photos stored on the device
- Emails: Monitor incoming and outgoing emails
- GPS location: Monitor the live location of the device along with timestamps
- Keylogger: Logs all the keystrokes monitored on the device
- Address book: View names, phone numbers, and email IDs of all the contacts stored on the device
- Call history: View the list of incoming, outgoing, and missed calls along with the timestamp
- Web history: View the list of websites visited and bookmarked pages
- SIM notification: Monitor when the SIM in a cell phone has been changed
- Remote control: Take pictures, uninstall the app, update the app remotely
- Application activity: View the list of apps installed on the phone along with their usage
- Android: All versions including 9
- iOS: All versions up to 11.4.1
- Windows: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10
- Mac: macOS Maverick, macOS Yosemite, macOS El Capitan, macOS Sierra, and macOS High Sierra
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Symbian):
- 3 months: $63/month billed $189 quarterly
- 6 months: $48/month billed $289 semi-yearly
- 12 months: $32/month billed $389 annually
Tablet (iPad and Android):
- 3 months: $49/month billed $149 quarterly
- 6 months: $31/month billed $189 semi-yearly
- 12 months: $24/month billed $289 annually
Computer (Windows PC and Mac):
- 3 months: $26/month billed $79 quarterly
- 6 months: $16/month billed $99 semi-yearly
- 12 months: $10/month billed $129 annually
You need physical access to the device to install Spyera. The installation procedure involved opening the link on the device. This will download the app on the phone. You can install the app and have it up and running in around 3 minutes. You can then proceed to monitor the device remotely.
- Offers a variety of features on different devices
- Free updates and remote upgrades
- Jailbreak is required for iPhones and iPads
- Rooting required for some feature on Android devices
BlurSPY provides a variety of features that help employers in knowing what their employees are doing. Using live recording features, one can be sure of what their employee is doing, whether working or wasting time on social media apps. The app offers live recording on the device of various applications. So, an employer can record the activities of their employees remotely without nagging the employee about their activities. It allows employers to keep a close eye on a person’s activities.
- Calls: Record live calls and monitor call logs including incoming, outgoing, and missed calls along with call duration and time of the call
- Text messages: View sent and received messages including details of the sender or the receiver
- GPS location: Mark safe and unrestricted areas; monitor the live location of the device
- Multimedia files: View photos, videos, and audio files including voice recordings
- Contacts: View the contact list on the phone including caller name and number
- Calendar: View all the calendar appointments
- Surroundings: Monitor the surroundings of the phone through the camera and real-time listening
- Screen activity: Monitor the screen of the device through live screen recording and capturing screenshots
- Live screen recording: Record the screen when using apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, TikTok, Instagram, Tinder, Skype, Snapchat, Kik, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Twitter
- Remote monitoring: Monitor the activities on the phone in stealth mode and view the list of installed apps.
- Android: All OS versions up to 8.1
- iOS: All OS versions up to 11.4.1
Lite Package License (1 Android device):
- 1 month: $14.99
- 3 months: $39.99
- 6 months: $55.99
- 1 year: $64.99
Premier Package License (1 Android device):
- 1 month: $ 34.99
- 3 months: $59.99
- 6 months: $79.99
- 1 year: $89.99
Family Package License (4 Android device)
You need to uninstall antivirus software on your device to install BlurSPY on your phone. Download the app from the link sent to your email, after you purchase a subscription plan. Tap on the BlurSPY icon in Application manager on Android device. After installation, enter the license/activation key sent to our email. Allow all the permissions on the app. The app will begin monitoring activity on the device
- Monitor and record real-time activity
- Will expose the device to viruses and malicious software
- Does not support OS version 9 of Android devices
- May cause the phone to slow down over time
The apps mentioned above allow employers to closely monitor their employees. These provide real-time information and insights about an employee’s activities. Whether phone, tablet, or computer, you can remotely monitor what your employee does. Some of the apps also provide insights and allow you to determine how productive your employee is. This makes it easier for organizations to determine a hardworking employee from the rest.
Without a doubt, employee monitoring applications are becoming a necessity in the current times. What matters is how an organization uses it for the benefit of its employees and the organization.